This is one yummy cupcake. You can have them as a dessert with cream if you really want to indulge, but they are also great for the kids lunches or as a snack. They sure look nice sitting on the kitchen bench! I stole this recipe from a new cookbook I recently bought from the market – called “The Cupcake – life’s better with a cupcake”. Looking forward to trying more of the recipes after the success of these ones!
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
280g apple sauce (from a jar)
53g butter, softened
85g demerara sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
175g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
50g plain flour
50g demerara sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 180. Put 12 paper cases in muffin tray
2. To make the topping, put the flour, sugar and spices in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces, then add to the bowl and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembled fine breadcrumbs.
3. For the cupcake mixture, Add the bicarb of soda to the apple sauce and stir until dissolved.
4. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
5. Gradually beat in the egg. Sift in the flour and spices and using a metal spoon, fold into the mixture, alternating with the apple sauce.
6. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases
7. Scatter the topping over the cupcakes and press down gently
8. Bake in the over for around 20 minutes, or until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.